Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ohmsapien demo 2011



Man, these guys just came out of nowhere and impressed the fuck out of me a few months back when I went to a show that had a few local favorites of mine playing.

Ohmsapien is from a province called Aurora pretty far from where I live, they started off in 2005 when the members were still in high school covering Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, classic heavy metal stuff like that I was told. This particular demo on cd-r, their first release was put out in July at a gig I attended and has 4 tracks, 3 of which are live rehearsals.

The first three cuts are rough D.I.Y. home recordings of raw speed thrashing fused with heavy metal. Imagine the vibe of bay area goodness reminiscent of the 80's glory days then throw it together with a great melodic sense of true heavy metal grooving and dual guitar harmonies like what you hear in Maiden and Witch, two influences fused together make a whole unique sound on their own, that's more or less what you get from Ohmsapien.

 To the people who never had the ear for raw and unpolished metal it might put them off but I seriously doubt the more than competent songwriting won't shine and pierce through the less than stellar production quality(Don't worry all the instruments are still audible some less than others). Judging by the live tracks these guys are well rehearsed, tight and mature musicians for their young age. Track # 4 on the demo is also a recording of  an earlier live one which I think they mixed at home also.

 "I Swallow Lightnin" is a song about a superlightning-charged,invincible, bounty hunter conquering realities and dimensions killing everything in its path, it has the catchiest infectious, melodic chorus that I couldn't stop whistling for days. What separates this band from other thrashers is that they have no impulse to be faster than anybody else and prefer the feel, heavyness and vibe of thrash metal than the speed and brutality of it and for forging their own path rather than do what everybody else does around these parts and play some kind of diluted slayer rip off,I admire them.

http://www.myspace.com/ohmsapien

No comments:

Post a Comment