Saturday, July 21, 2012

Blair Witch Bitch Hunt '12


Everyone Should Be Killed Zine Fest, Light and Space Contemporary, QC.
I just don’t understand it. Why are there modern brutal death metal bands that draw modern brutal death metal crowds alongside punk oriented, diy ethics infused serious publications? Doesn’t it speak volumes about the BDM sub culture and its shallow surface value-centric consumerist following when there aren’t any worthwhile zines written by a fan of the movement to document its existence? I used to have a personal vendetta with everything modern brutal death metal but now I’ve grown to accept that there are a select few true individuals that focus their efforts within it, now I just hate the stupid fucking sheeple crowd that comes along with the existence of the bands. I mean I saw one dude who asked if a zine was free and upon learning it costs 50bucks opted to buy a 500 bucks tour shirt of a band with an indecipherable logo instead. I find that too sick.  With that said and out of the way this event was a blast, thanks a lot to Sam of LOC, without his guiding light the crazy band of zinesters would’ve ne’er gotten out of the Blair Witch’s Bitch Hunt incident alive. My crazy day started out with meeting my fanzine heroes IA’s Wordsllinger and KZ’s Jeremy at Andoks for a few glasses of beer(Well, I had a few they had a shit ton) and getting acquainted with Sister Bastard/Brother Bitch/Syrrups Omel Power Jakol and met another dude there called Jep as well. He was our guide to the Blair Bitch Bitch Hunt, I owe him a lot he paid for my fare <3. It was a fun day but we got lost in Marikina when we were supposed to be in QC. Haha. Upon arriving at the venue I learned that BIF’s set just finished, too bad. I really miss Lloyd’s vocals and hearing Despair live, shit is my favorite BIF song mesmerizing and puts you into a dream like state. I haven’t heard their new vocalist Ian(ex Demiurge) yet so  need to watch them again soon. I got to watch Toxemia for the first time which was cool as well,Victilator of Pathogen/Rabies was pounding the kit for them that night. Throw and Against Man were the highlights of the night for me, Throw played one of my favorite melodi-hcpunk tracks from their 3rd album called Believe and Against Man went through their list of NYHC crossover sounding thrash originals. I was heckling them to play The Eliminator which I think most crossover band in their vein would know from heart, it was too bad they didn’t but they promised too next time so I’ll be taking them up on their offer heheheh. Skipping over the modern brutal death bands that played that night( I really don’t like the genre. I even hate some of the shitty unrehearsed bands that play in the style thank god they weren’t here hahahaha) Surrogate Prey came out of nowhere and knocked me out. They play some mean ass sludge and I kept thinking that I wasn’t stoned or drunk enough to completely appreciate their music in all of its glorious fucking negativity, fucking ace stuff. I hope they release more stuff soon.  It was really great meeting some of the fellow zinesters I look up too at this event and getting to know more about the guys behind the words I read. This event felt like more of a normal gig than a zine fest to me since it was just the normal SOP for zine people to set up shop at a table and not much difference from a normal show since it didn’t have an open forum or discussion about the importance of making zines and communication etc. like the last one held at Kalye Art Gallery.  Maybe we were just too late for it not sure. I also got reacquainted with Corix and Ron from Toxemia, those guys rule. I loved the venue, it was large and the ambience was great, couches were also present near the gallery. I need to come back and do some dextromethorphan there and sink on the comfy couches hahaha.
 Major props to Sam and everybody involved for setting up a tight show. <3
thanks for letting me in
xoxo
Pao.

No comments:

Post a Comment